Markoff v. Independent Bank
CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT INFORMATION
Welcome to the settlement information website for Markoff v. Independent Bank. This website describes the case and the settlement between Lois Markoff (“Plaintiff”) and Independent Bank (“Defendant”).
We have tried to design this website to help you get information about the proposed settlement of this case. If necessary, however, you can also contact Class Counsel for further information:
Lance A. Raphael
The Consumer Advocacy Center, P.C.
180 W. Washington St., Ste. 700
Chicago, IL 60602
DO NOT CONTACT THE COURT FOR INFORMATION.
This case is currently pending in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan as Case No. 09-12639. To see a copy of the most recent complaint, click here.
Plaintiff alleges that Defendant did not post the required fee notice on the outside of certain of its ATMs, thus violating the Electronic Funds Transfer Act, 15 U.S.C. § 1693 et seq. (“EFTA”). Specifically, Plaintiff alleges Defendant failed to post a notice on certain ATMs disclosing that a fee may be charged for using the ATMs. This lawsuit and settlement involves the following Independent Bank ATM locations, click here.
To see a copy of the class action publication notice, click here.
Defendant denies Plaintiff’s claims of wrongdoing but has agreed to settle all claims against it to avoid the expense of continued legal proceedings. To see a copy of the Settlement Agreement, click here.
The Court has certified a class for settlement purposes and preliminarily approved a class action settlement of this case. To see a copy of the Preliminary Approval Order, click here.
The links below provide information about who is a Class Member, the terms of the Settlement Agreement and how Class Members can participate in, object to, or exclude themselves from, the class action settlement of this case.
All Potential Class Members
To find out if you are a Class Member, click here.
If you are a Class Member and want to receive money from the Settlement Fund, click here.
If you do not want to be a Class Member (or receive any money from the Settlement Fund), click here.
If you want to object to the settlement of this case as a class action or to the terms of the Settlement Agreement, click here.
Subclass A: All persons who, from July 7, 2008 through December 31, 2008, were charged a transaction fee for the use of an automated teller machine operated by Independent Bank at any of the following locations:
- Branch Name and Address
- Alpena M-32 – 1324 M-32 West, Alpena, MI 49707
- Auburn – 1004 W. Midland Rd., Auburn, MI 48611
- Battle Creek North – 701 North Ave., Battle Creek, MI 49017
- Battle Creek Pennfield – 1295 Capital Ave., NE, Battle Creek, MI 49017
- Battle Creek Urbandale – 1 N. Bedford Rd., Battle Creek, MI 49037
- Belding – 130 S. Bridge, Belding, MI 48809
- Bellevue – 204 W. Capital Ave., Bellevue, MI 49021
- Beverly Hills – 32800 Southfield Rd., Beverly Hills, MI 48025
- Bloomfield Hills – 4140 W. Maple Rd., Bloomfield Hills, MI 48301
- Cardinal Square – 3550 Tittabawassee Rd., Saginaw, MI 48604
- Caro – 1111 W. Caro Rd., Caro, MI 48723
- Caseville – 6727 Main St., Caseville, MI 48725
- Center – 1445 N. Center, Saginaw, MI 48638
- Clio – 3500 W. Vienna Rd., Clio, MI 48420
- East Tawas – 228 Newman St., East, Tawas, MI 48730
- Grand Rapids Downtown – 86 Monroe Center, NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Grand Rapids East Beltline – 4200 E. Beltline, Grand Rapids, MI 49525
- Grand Rapids Plainfield – 3090 Plainfield NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49505
- Gratiot – 5470 Gratiot Rd., Saginaw, MI 48638
- Hale – 114 N. Washington, Hale, MI 48739
- Hillman – 118 State St., Hillman, MI 49746
- Hubbard Lake – 14963 Hubbard Lake Rd., Hubbard Lake, MI 49747
- Ionia Point – 450 S. Dexter St., Ionia, MI 48846
- Kingston – 5854 State St., Kingston, MI 48741
- Kroger – 945 Euclid Rd., Bay City, MI 48706
- Lapeer – 1985 W. Genesee, Lapeer, MI 48446
- Marlette – 2593 S. VanDyke, Marlette, MI 48453
- Mason – 190 Kipp Rd., Mason, MI 48854
- Midland – 210 S. Saginaw St., Midland, MI 48640
- Muskegon Henry – 3251 Henry St., Muskegon, MI 49441
- North Branch Drive-Up – 3765 Huron St., North Branch, MI 48461
- Olivet – 112 S. Main St., Olivet, MI 49076
- Oscoda – 4452 E. County Rd. F-41, Oscoda, MI 48750
- Pigeon – 75 S. Main St., Pigeon, MI 48755
- Pinconning – 408 Mable St., Pinconning, MI 48650
- Portland – 1601 E. Grand River Ave., Portland, MI 48875
- Rogers City – 111 West Michigan Ave., Rogers City, MI 49779
- Shelby Twp. – 49785 VanDyke Ave., Shelby Township, MI 48317
- Standale – 4525 Lake Michigan Dr., Walker, MI 49534
- Standish – 209 S. Main St., Standish, MI 48658
- State – 3601 State St., Saginaw, MI 48602
- South Ionia – 2551 S. State, Ionia, MI 48846
- Troy North – 5950 Rochester Rd., Troy, MI 48085
- Ubly – 4495 Garfield St., Ubly, MI 48475
- Vermontville – 194 Main St., Vermontville, MI 49096
- West Branch – 700 W. Houghton Ave., West, Branch, MI 48661
- West Road – 2900 West Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823
- Whittemore – 205 N. Bullock St., Whittemore, MI 48770
Subclass B: All persons who, from July 7, 2008 through January 31, 2009, were charged a transaction fee for the use of an automated teller machine operated by Independent Bank at any of the following locations:
- Branch Name and Address
- Bay City – 623 Washington Ave., Bay City, MI 48708
- Cass City – 6241 Main St., Cass City, MI 48726
- Livonia – 37601 Five Mile Rd., Livonia, MI 48154
- Muskegon Harvey – 5969 Harvey St., Norton Shores, MI 49444
- Rockford – 78 S. Main St., Rockford, MI 49341
- Rose City – 508 S. Bennett, Rose City, MI 48654
- Branch Name and Address
- Alpena – 2708 S. US-23, Alpena, MI 49707
- Alpine – 3800 Alpine Ave., Comstock Park, MI 49321
- Cedar Springs – 4115 17 Mile Rd., Cedar Springs, MI 49319
- CMU Bovee – 103 E. Preston St., Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
- Euclid – 745 N. Euclid Rd., Bay City, MI 48706
- Farmington Hills – 32900 Middlebelt Road, Farmington Hills, MI 48334
- Grand Rapids Cascade – 6750 Cascade Rd., SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546
- Mt. Pleasant – 319 E. Broadway, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
- Northgate – 655 N. Port Crescent, Bad Axe, MI 48413
- SVSU – 7400 Bay Road, University Center, MI 48710
- Troy Main Drive Up – 201 W. Big Beaver, Ste. 125, Troy, MI 48084
- Troy Main Lobby – 201 W. Big Beaver, Ste. 125, Troy, MI 48084
- Unionville – 6586 Center St., Unionville, MI 48767
Subclass C: All persons who, from July 7, 2008 through March 31, 2009, were charged a transaction fee for the use of an automated teller machine operated by Independent Bank at any of the following locations:
Subclass D: All persons who, from July 7, 2008 through July 31, 2009, were charged a transaction fee for the use of an automated teller machine operated by Independent Bank at any of the following locations:
- Branch Name and Address
- Carson City Hospital – 406 Elm St., Carson City, MI 48811
- CMU Library – 250 E. Preston, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
- CMU Towers – 202-208 W. Broomfield, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
- CMU Woldt Lab – Woldt Hall, 400 E. Ojibway, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
- CMU SAC Center – Student Activity Center, 360 E. Broomfield Ave., Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
- Clio Wal-Mart – 11493 North Linden Road, Clio, MI 48420
- Ferris – 846 S. State St., Big Rapids, MI 49307
- Mt. Pleasant Mission Street – 1801 S. Mission St., Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
- Newaygo Plumbs – 199 W. River Valley Dr., Newaygo, MI 49337
- Plainfield Sav-A-Lot – 4180 Plainfield, NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49525
- Riegle’s Market (Hopps ‘N Schnapps) – 3400 W. M-32, Gaylord, MI 49735
- Sparta – 525 S. State St., Sparta, MI 49345
- SVSU Ryder Center – 7400 Bay Rd., 2nd Floor, Ryder Center, University Center, MI 48710
- Tawas City Wal-Mart – 621 E. Lake St., Tawas City, MI 48763
- West Branch Wal-Mart – 2750 Cook Rd., West Branch, MI 48661
If you do not want to participate in the Settlement you must write a letter stating, “EXCLUDE ME FROM THE MARKOFF V. INDEPENDENT BANK SETTLEMENT.” Include your name and address and mail the letter to First Class, Inc./J11186-Markoff, 5410 W. Roosevelt Rd., Suite 222, Chicago, IL 60644-1479. Your letter must be postmarked by March 19, 2011 to be valid.
If you think the Settlement is unfair, you may object to it by writing a memo stating the specific reasons for your objection and filing it with the Court at 231 W. Lafayette Blvd., 5th Floor, Detroit, MI 48226 on or before March 19, 2011 and sending a copy to Class Counsel at 180 W. Washington St., Ste. 700